East Bernard Texas
June- Kolache-Klobase Festival 2nd Saturday in June at Riverside Hall.
- Located on fertile farm area in northeast Wharton County. Approximately 45 miles Southwest of Houston.
- On banks of San Bernard River
- 6 April 1931 Josiah F. Hamilton receives first land grant in the area.
- Approximately one month later Father Miguel Muldoon receives a land grant.
- 1853 Jethro Spiva purchased nine lots from the Hamilton Tract which would soon become the town of East Bernard.
- Population began to grow when a
bridge was built across the San Bernard river for the Galveston,
Harrisburg and San Antonio Railroad.
- The name of Bernard Station was given to the depot which was located about a third of a mile east of the river.
- 1869 Due to the difficulty of
starting and stopping the train on the slope of the river the depot was
moved to the west side of the river.
- 1866 first post office established with Frank Priestly as the postmaster.
- July 1874 First reference to the
town of East Bernard when Uriah Cooper became postmaster even though
town was on the West side of the San Bernard River.
- 1883 Haywood Stockton arrives
and soon becomes Justice of the peace, postmaster, store owner, and
rancher. His store and one owned by Louis Pietzch along with a saloon
made up the entire business district in 1887.
- The Methodist Church was the
first church established in East Bernard. It started in the community
of Content in Colorado County. In 1893 five German families, including
the Pietzsch, Buls, Koym, and Otto families, moved to East Bernard.
Since they were the only members of the church the dismantled it and
brought it to East Bernard.
- 1905 First Catholic Church in
are built "Exaltation of the Holy Cross" By 1900 many Czech
families lived in area. Mass was said at the home of Jim Vacek. Through
his efforts the first Catholic Church was built.
- 1907 First bank located in the
J.G. Leveridge Store.. The Union State bank was organized in 1907 with
Leveridge as President and R. B. Boencher as Cashier.
- 1912 East Bernard had a
telephone system, telegraph and express office, bank, four general
stores, one dry goods store, two drug stores, restaurant, barber shop,
two cotton gins, cottonseed oil mill, one grist mill, two lumber yards,
one tin shop, two blacksmiths, livery stable, photo studio, and two
- 1960 Chamber of Commerce
organized with J.R. Peace as first president. Chamber of Commerce
handled most city government business until September 2003.
- 2003 September City of East Bernard voted to incorporate. Clem "Buck" Boettcher was elected first mayor.
December- First Saturday in December Chamber of Commerce Christmas parade and Market.
East Bernard Churches
|Ceossroads Assemblies of God
301 WALLACE ST
EAST BERNARD TX 77435-8716
|First Baptist Church East Bernard
613 FITZGERALD ST
EAST BERNARD TX 77435-9808
|First United Methodist Church
East Bernard TX
|Grace Community Fellowship
118 LEVERIDGE ST
EAST BERNARD TX 77435-7477
|Holy Cross Catholic Church
839 CHURCH ST
EAST BERNARD TX 77435-8516
|Iglesia Metodista Libre
823 SEYDLER ST
EAST BERNARD TX 77435-7488
City of East Bernard
|East Bernard Business Office
|East Bernard City Hall
704 CHURCH ST
EAST BERNARD TX 77435-8713
Volunteer Fire Department
808 Leveridge RD
East Bernard TX